Sunday, June 27, 2010

I don't consider myself very attached or sentimental or things like that to people and things etc. But there is one place to which I am very attached to, that place is my home. When I'm away, I don't especially miss my parents or relatives, rather I miss the familiar surroundings that spell home.

I have an almost fixed routine when I'm at home. I get up by 7-715, a while after both mom and dad have given up trying to wake me. After brushing and such, I go down to the kitchen and sit on the cooking range,sipping coffee and talking to my mom as she is cooking. Then I sort hang around, going out into the porch,reading paper, watching tv etc, waiting for it to be 8 when my dad,mom and grandfather comes down to breakfast. Then after breakfast everyone leaves for their respective occupations,leaving me at home. I have nothing in particular to do the whole day..so Ido what I'm best at, laze around, watch tv,browse the net, read, sleep etc till 1 till my grandfather comes to have lunch. Then we have lunch together, he goes out again and I try to sleep till 3. That is when the maid comes in. I let her in, make tea for both of us by 4, watch TV till my grandfather returns at 530, followed closely by my dad. Then I make tea for both of them and watch TV till my mom returns by 715.( Oh yeah, there is a ritual of lighting the lamp in the prayer room..about 630). After my mom comes, I make her something to snack and then follow her around while she heats up food and makes some dish for dinner etc. Dinner is served at 830. And everyone,except me is in bed by 10.

This is how a normal day passes by at my home. Everything is so bound by time. That is how my Grandmother set it. And that is what we still follow,even though she is no longer with us.


I miss all that. I miss that routine, of lazing around and doing odd chores...I even miss my nosy and weird neighbours whom I don't even like...I guess you never get used to being away from home, no matter how much you love having your own space,no matter how long you have stayed away from home...you always miss it, no matter how grown up you become...I realise that my home is the only place I've been truly happy...It is my haven where I'm safe from the whole world... Home is the only place where you are always wanted,the place where you always have your place,your room, your special seat...It is the only place you are ever truly at HOME.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Home sweet home. I have never been away from my parents...people ask me ..staying away makes u mature.
I don't know!!!

may be u r mature enough to tell me :P

So when r u coming home?

stefy said...

Someday u r going to set up a dream house of ur own!!

Lovely blog

Sammy! said...

Lovely Writin...:D

Now U made me Miss HOme... :(

buttercup said...

@ JOn i dunno...but i can safely say dat it s definitely a learning experience...as 4 me...i learnt 2 languages, i learnt 2 fend 4 myself in all situations... sept i ges :)

@stefy thnxx i sure hope so

@sam thnx..thats d whole pt...am feelin miserable, so makin udrs miserable too...jk ;)