Thursday, November 13, 2008

When I was young,

I was a wild colt

Without broken spirit

With no curb bit in my mouth.

My heart was as light as a bird's

Happiness pulsing in my veins

In that spring of youth

I had no care in the world.

Away went spring,summer and autumn

And came winter,of harsh truths,

Of the burdens of growing up

Of squaring your shoulders and bearing them up.

I couldn't walk on clouds anymore,

I couldn't dream of light,

I couldn't scream in delight,

And I couldn't cry in remorse.

Away went the smoothness of youth

Replaced by the harsh lines of life

With an armful of loads to tote

I never could be myself anymore.

A stranger looks back at me from the mirror,

With my dark eyes

With frowning lines in her face

Her mouth set against the world.

When I look back into those days

Those carefree days of youth

Of laughing and chattering and gossipping,

I dont recognise myself anymore.

No comments: